Sunday, December 29, 2013

Top 13 of 2013, Day #11: How We Roll

Day #11: October 5-6, 2013

A lot of people use New Year's to make relationship resolutions, and as I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate all the different relationships in my life. Sometimes the people you're looking for don't come around, but the people you aren't expecting make up for it tenfold.

In 2013, a lot of new relationships developed, but it's my friendship with the Scarjanis that I count as the most special one. Mia and I, of course, have been close for a long time, and she's an important part of my small circle of besties. What's special about this year, however, is that I've also come to consider Ferdinand a trusted support as well.

Lots of times, friends and significant others politely meet but never truly bond. There's nothing wrong with that. It's nice to be able to hang out and enjoy each others' company, but I have a lot of people that I consider very good friends whose husbands merit barely a wave as we leave him with the kids to go grab dinner. As a single person, it's often hard to really get to know those boyfriends or husbands because we just don't have a lot of mutual interests, and my friends and I very much value our girl time.

But then there's Ferdinand. Mia and Ferdinand - the Scarjanis! - are a terrific couple to be around as a twosome. They're a special pair because as simply as they care for each other in the smallest of big ways, they embrace me (and you) with their love, too. Being in their home is just warm, and it's fun, and it's never about awkward small talk.

Give me a home where the buffaroll roam...
This fall, Ferdinand took a step towards a goal he's been planning for a long time with How We Roll. It's basically an egg roll business in which you've never experienced anything more tasty in your life. I've been hearing about How We Roll for quite some time, but I don't think I really appreciated exactly what Ferdinand was capable of.

And then October came, bringing Shelton Day with it. When I got a last minute text from Ferdinand asking if I could help roll with him, I didn't even pause for a second before I said yes. Honestly, I had no clue. Not a clue what I agreed to, not a clue as to why I agreed, not a clue as to what the hell he was doing. But you know what? It was Ferdinand, asking for my assistance, so whatever it was, the answer would be yes.

Absolutely serious at all times.
Over the course of a Saturday afternoon, I joined Ferdinand's best friends to roll. Hundreds of them. Maybe thousands, I don't even know. Rolls, I mean. Not friends. There were less than a handful of us in that kitchen, and we were greatly outnumbered by egg rolls.

I remember endless trays of beautiful buffalo chicken burning my esophagus when I breathed in deeply and boxes of wraps that weighed more than me, and OH, the bowls of steak just waiting to be folded into the warm blanket of an eggroll. Buffarolls and PA'Steak Rolls, and if your taste buds are piqued, they should be.

Ferdinand taking charge
And through it all, Chef Ferdinand took charge of that legit restaurant kitchen. Politely giving orders and taking care of business. I love that he trusted us to get the job done, and I love that we did, singing along with the oldies Johnny Rocket-style, elbow deep in buffalo chicken.

But there's a reason this day stood out for me. Two reasons, actually. The first, as I said, is because I was honored that Ferdinand invited me to be part of the process of something that was special to him. The second? The second is because I was so proud that he actually took a chance on that something special.

And, as an extra bonus, there was more good news that day from my Disney friend JZ, who was spending the afternoon at an audition to make his own dream come true. Hearing the smile in his voice when he called to update me on how the process was going is exactly what every one of these decisions should be about. Every step should be one you feel good about, and every step should get you closer than you would be if you just stood still.

Walking up to the How We Roll booth at Shelton Day to see my best friend Mia manning the fryer and Ferdinand charming the crowds once again, I don't know how he brought it together so quickly. I took it as a "quit talking and start doing" lesson, because that's the only reason anyone got to experience the magic of a Buffaroll that day.

And that, my friends, is how we roll.

My friends get a thumbs up.







No comments:

Post a Comment