Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Top 13 of 2013, Day #13: No Day But Today

Day #13: TODAY

Ok, so this is an absolute cheat: Day #13 on my list is today.

Today, December 31st, I will end the evening amidst people I have known either for most of my life or all of theirs. My last few New Years have been welcomed with my oldest friend and her family at my side. We met over a quarter century ago, when we were probably 5 years old, and the circle of fun has grown from the two of us to include her sisters, their cousins, husbands and what seems like dozens of kids.

But here's the cheat: "today" isn't only December 31st.

It's also May 18th, and March 10th, and April 23rd.  It's July 20th, and November 28th, and September 8th. April 20th, October 26th, May 30th - they're on the list too.

Trust me, I know it sounds cheesy, but 2013 had a lot of good days that made little moments big days. Like taking a hike (and NOT getting lost). An impromptu lunch date that was supposed to be a trip to the farmer's market. "Running" a Christmas 5k in the actual snow. Live tweeting with people who share your snarky side. There were weddings and babies and graduations and parties, but even more than that? There were unexpected times to relax or to laugh or to just be with people I didn't want to smother with a pillow.

So, for that, Today gets a nod as Day #13.  You pick it, and it's on the list.

That'll come in handy if I'm still around to write one of these lists in the year 2365.




No comments:

Post a Comment